Sunday, September 21, 2014

AFRICA Day 4 – OH MY WORD, Day 9

AFRICA Day 4 – OH MY WORD, Day 9

First off, where has the time gone? We have driven countless miles since we started hunting last Saturday morning. However, there is no way to really count the miles due to so many things going on around us.

Beautiful animals, from the size of a small dog to larger than life — elephants.







 Two nights ago, my PH and I were on a stalk, hoping to cut off the hartebeests we saw in the grasslands. Long story short, we did not cut off the hartebeests, due to giraffes coming to scope us out; I no longer call them giraffes, I call them SNITCHES!!!!

So there we were waiting for my brother and the prentice (Profession Hunter in training) to come extract us, when Rudy, my PH, and I started coming over a small ridge. As we started to crest, Rudy soft voice said, “stop.” I looked down to my left and what do I see, mountain zebras grazing.

Earlier, I told Rudy I did not want to shoot a zebra; but then I saw them, my heart started to pound, Rudy placed the shooting sticks in front of me. Before I knew it, I was on scope the breeze was gently brushing my entire face like a soft cotton ball, the wind was in our advantage. I felt my heart go from a freight train to a snails pace. My PH said, “last one crossing the road is a beautiful stallion, he is all yours.” Safety is off my finger on the trigger, right in my crosshairs it walked; to my advantage it stopped just off the road, facing NE. My finger was saying squeeze, my brain said look at the grace; on came the safety, still on scope, I watch as the sunset created a slight glow. I watched him for probably 4 minutes through scope but I seemed like hours. My PH, looking at me smiled and said, “thank you for not shooting.”

At that moment, I felt revitalized, almost at complete peace; I say almost because I was still pissed at the giraffes, — SNITCHES!!!

Back to calm

Since we, my brother and I have been here, we have seen creatures of amazing strength but gentle hearts, wild life that with one swift swipe or charge it is over, but at no time did or do we feel unsafe. Well, I do cause myself a large amount of fear when Rudy and I go walking through the bush, he is watching the game, I am watching for snake, I HATE SNAKES!!!!!

When the day is done, we see sunsets that no painter could copy, no camera can capture; it is just your eyes telling your brain, no asking your brain, is this really happening, is that truly a color?




 The cool night air holds and cools your body like water in a pool. You feel all your stress vanish, like a light being turned off — just like that it’s gone.

Just when you think it could not get any better, the night gods awaken the sky comes to life with stars that are so bright you would think you are in planetarium; so big and bright you want to reach out and touch them.

Jaw dropping is the night sky, because for far too long the night sky has been city lights or TV sets; the hustle and bustle of trying to get more things done.

Yet, as Rudy drives us back to the lodge I lean out the window and let everything just drift away as Africa does not care about your worries, it only wants you to be here and now.

More to come, more to see, more to learn and lots to experience.


Always Sitting, Always in Motion


Aaron


1 comment: